A client has two targets ("new" and "legacy") and they insist they run the same system image on both. The two have subtle differences, the most annoying being that the legacy one does not support (U)DMA for CompactFlash cards.
Linux can be told to disable (U)DMA support by passing "ide-core.nodma=0.0" in the command line but there's no way to re-enable later on, performance is dead-slow and these folks have tons of code that has to be loaded from the CF and they like fast boot times.
I cut some of their load time by upx'ing their XFree86 binary and proprietary app and that helped somewhat on both platforms. And it shrank their installer by 1M which is always a bonus.
I tried to muck with LILO but second.S is written in assembler (mine is quite rusty) and getting to the actual command line sector is yucky.
The fall back was to butcher the kernel. I have simple target detection routine which uses cpuid, let's call that chkLegacyCPU().
I changed start_kernel() in init/main.c to append " ide-core.nodma=0.0" to the command line (which is now a global in main.c) if the legacy platform is detected.
Also the legacy target does not support booting in graphics mode (vga=8) so I modified main() in arch/x86/boot/main.c to force the VGA mode to NORMAL_VGA if legacy platform.
Interestingly the two modifications are in two different parts of the kernel -- the one in x86/boot executes in x86 real mode and has a totally different software stack so I had to duplicate the code of chkLegacyCPU() for it.